The current wholesale price of maize (White and Yellow) from Gambaru Market Borno state is NGN15, 700 and NGN 15,000 respectively.
In Ekpoma market and Ujemeh market both in Edo state, the maize (White and Yellow) is sold for NGN 18, 000 respectively.
The current wholesale price of Maize (Yellow and White) from Mile 12 Market Lagos state and Funtua Market Kastina state is NGN17, 000 and NGN14, 300 respectively.
Also, in Garba Shade market Taraba state, the current wholesale price of maize (Yellow and White) is NGN 12, 500 and NGN 12,500 respectively.
For the past 5 weeks, the wholesale price of maize (Yellow and White) has been steady from the markets across Nigeria.
You can subscribe via email@example.com to get daily, weekly and historical price information on these Agro commodities from 103 markets in 36 states, including FCT Nigeria.
Maize has become a staple food in many parts of the world, with total production surpassing that of wheat and rice.
Maize was introduced into Africa by the Portuguese in the 16th century; and has become Africa’s most important staple food crop.
However, not all of this maize is consumed directly by humans. Some of the maize production is used for corn, ethanol, animal feed and other maize products such as corn starch and corn syrup.
SOME MAIZE TIPS
- Nitrogen is important to securing high yields in maize. It fuels crop growth and development and needs to be readily available.
- Potassium, like nitrogen, also boosts crop development; large amounts are taken up by the growing plant.
- Magnesium, sulfur, and iron increases photosynthetic activity and maintain good growth which increases high yields too.
- Calcium ensures good plant strength, protects the root, leaf and stalk production.
- Boron is required for pollen tube growth.
- Phosphorus is particularly important for root development and good crop establishment.
- Maize is most sensitive to drought at the time of silk emergence when the flowers are ready for pollination.
- An ear or cob of corn is actually part of the flower and an individual kernel is a seed.
- On average, an ear of corn has 800 kernels in 16 rows.
- Raw, yellow, sweet maize kernels are composed of 76% water, 19% carbohydrates, 3% protein, and 1% fat.
- A grain sorghum plant looks a lot like a corn plant but is shorter and more colorful.
Agriculture is and will remain the main driver of economic development in Africa and the world at large.
Novus Agro has a market network of 103 locations in 36 states including FCT Nigeria. With the help of our reliable and competent enumerators, Novus Agro collects over 35 prices of Agro commodities daily.
Chiamaka Onyebuchi, Digital Marketing, Novus Agro Nigeria.